GSSDGS Khalsa College Patiala is dedicated to provide full accessibility to all of its programs and services for individuals with physical disabilities (orthopedic, visual/ hearing impairment, dyslexia, depression, anxiety, schizophrenia etc.). The Office of DRC is dedicated to provide appropriate and reasonable concessions for students with disabilities, based upon individual needs to enable them to cope up their academic learning with normal students. This ensures that students receive an equal opportunity to learn, participate in campus life, and grow emotionally and socially, and to successfully complete the program of study that will enable them to be self supporting while remaining as independent as possible.
The students with disabilities will get support as per their requirement as follows:
- Reserved seating in class
- Extended loan period for Library books
- Book bank services
- Wheel chair, if needed
- Extended time for writing examinations, conducting practical / workshop practice
- Extended time line for submissions of assignment/projects
- Mentor for students with disability.
- Permission to record lectures
- To allow Additional support (writer) during examination
- Clear information about course requirements and deadlines well in advance
- Human support in certain outdoor activities
- Breaks during practical, if needed
- Meetings with office in-charge to discuss problems, if needed
- To self-identify as a student with a disability to the DRC office at the college
- To provide up-to-date documentation of the disability to the DRC office
- To self-identify to faculty/mentor as a student with a disability and provide them with a copy of the Individual Student Profile
- To remind faculty in a timely manner of academic concessions required for tests and assignments
- To accept responsibility for his or her successful education. This includes maintaining satisfactory academic levels, attending classes, completing assignments, behaving appropriately, and communicating regularly with the appropriate office and/or individual regarding specific needs.
The office responsibilities include:
- To assess students’ requests for concessions using the current disability documentation provided by the students.
- To provide information regarding policies, procedures, rights and responsibilities to students with disabilities in accessible formats upon request.
- To recommend and provide reasonable and appropriate learning and testing concessions, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids for students with disabilities who meet the college or university criteria for eligibility.
- To ensure confidentiality of all information pertaining to students’ disabilities.
- To assist students in communicating with faculty about their disabilities and required concessions, if needed.